Thursday, January 5, 2017

Recreating a Famous Painting

Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earing
I'm always looking for new ideas for a photograph. Last year when searching the web for ideas, I came upon Two Bored Coworkers Recreate Famous Paintings Using Their Office Supplies. Wow, I'll have to try this in my Photography class! Like usual, I test the project first. I solicited the help of my favorite model to try my hand at recreating Vermeer's famous image.

Like the Bored Coworkers, I limited myself to my Iphone 5C and stuff that was around the house. T is wearing my revolutionary war farmer's smock. The blue scarf is a pillow case and the scarf came from her closet. The earring was a donation for her "Earrings for Encouragement" project. She hopes to give earrings to the many woman who finish their breast cancer treatments at Vassar Hospital.

I used a large china cabinet for for the background. The original was a green color, but has mellowed to look like a dark black. Lighting was a table lamp and a flexible desk lamp.

Some Art History

The Girl with the Pearl Earring is often classified as a Tronie. (Tronie is dutch for face.) A "Tronie" is a common portrait that shows an unusual facial expression. Typically, the head or bust if featured and the subject is wearing unusual or exotic clothing.

Process

  • For this project we will work in teams of 2. You pick your partner.
  • Your team will pick a painting out of a hat. If you want, you may trade images with another team.
  • Using common everyday objects and clothing, try and recreate the famous painting.
    • Think about the background...you could draw it.
    • Lighting - notice the shadows in my image. I tried to closely match the original.
    • Use the Focus and Exposure Lock on your camera.
    • Take a lot of photos!

  • Choose the best one and post it next to the original on your blog. There are a ton of Apps that will create a collage of images. I used Pic Stich to put my images together, but you can just post them to your blog.
  • Your post should include information about the artist and painting. (not just names and dates) Include information about your models, location and props.
Good Luck,

Mr. B

No comments:

Post a Comment